I started Million Dollar Arm on the plane ride home from Florida on Monday this week. I am really enjoying it so far and I think I'm going to like it even better than I liked the movie. It started off with the Major League tryout that occurred in a mall parking lot (like it did in the book). The trainer that had been working with the two boys from India, (if you aren't sure what i'm talking about please see the blog post about J.B. Bernstein because it provides background) took the cover off the mound the two had to throw off of. It was completely crooked and messed up. J.B.'s confident positive attitude declined to nervous and full of doubt. He decided to take a leap of faith in starting the reality TV show, "Million Dollar Arm," and starting the idea in general. So much depended on a few dozen pitches in a parking lot. The background before this point begins right as the ball is released from the first pitchers hand and a new chapter begins (literally).
J.B. was tired of the same old-same old when it comes to athletes and wanted to draw talent from the 1.252 billion people living in India. Surely someone could be good at baseball... His idea was to have one or two Indian boys / men successfully join and play in the MLB so that the entire country of India could start supporting the sport and possibly bring profit in. Think of Yao Ming and China's introduction to basketball. He gets to India and everything is hectic and chaotic, as you might imagine with as many people as it has. He begins his search for talent and someone who can pitch 85+ mph. He goes to many villages and cities on the hunt for this million dollar arm. He encounters struggles of all kinds and eventually perseveres and the finals take place. That is wear I left off. I think it is only going to get better as the novel goes further into character personalities now that the background is set.


















No comments:
Post a Comment