I'm really enjoying the Romeo and
Juliet unit so I thought I'd put up the argument writing on whether or not
R&J are really in love. I thought I made some pretty valid points and I
wanted to take a break from independent reading.
In Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet
I believe that no true love occurs, lust simply blinds the two “star crossed
lovers,” Romeo and Juliet, into believing they are in love. Romeo and Juliet
meet for the first time at Capulet’s party (Juliet’s father). Romeo sees Juliet
from across the room where the party takes place and begins talking about how
beautiful and amazing she is. Little does he know, she is the daughter of his
family’s sworn enemy. Romeo speaks of Juliet,
”Her beauty is too good for this world; she’s too beautiful to die and
be buried, (1.5.66-67).” At first you may think that I am supporting the wrong
claim but Romeo has just recently spent days in depression over his other
quote: “love,” with Rosaline a young lady who gave herself to chastity. He
tells Mercutio that he can never love again and never find one as charming as
his previous when he falls in love with a different girl the same day they
talked about this. This goes on to support my thesis that lust is what is
taking ahold of the two. Keep in mind also, that they met and kissed within 30
seconds of their first encounter, and quite honestly she is 13 and he, not much
older, probably don’t lack the hormones to drive them to this lust. I think
that Romeo and Juliet can’t possibly be in love due to their circumstances, it
is driven by the lust between them.


















No comments:
Post a Comment