Books I've Read:

Jack's books

A Long Way Gone
The Universe Versus Alex Woods
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Lost Hero
The Throne of Fire
The Red Pyramid
The Last Olympian
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Prodigy
Legend
Divergent
The Hunger Games
Catching Fire
Mockingjay
The Thief Lord
The Universe Versus Alex Woods


Jack Douglas's favorite books »

Monday, March 9, 2015

Fahrenheit 451

Imagine a world without books. A world where your house can be incinerated by the people who should be putting it out. A world where people are so censored and controlled that they can't even read their own emotions. Where the horrors of war are covered up as no big deal. Fahrenheit 451 is an exact reflection of this nightmare.

I really liked the premise of Fahrenheit 451 and the dystopian idea of it. I just didn't like the way it was executed by Ray Bradbury. I felt like there was too much going on and I had  bit of a difficult time following it .However I liked the way that allusions played a role in the novel and I enjoyed doing research on Gandhi, Confucius, and Buddha. I learned a lot about censorship, and totalitarian governments. It made me think a lot about the way people in society are affected by literature or lack there of. A great quote that displays societies relationship with literature: “There must be something in books, something we can’t imagine, to make a woman stay in a burning house; there must be something there. You don’t stay for nothing.” I made many connections to society today, and even the past. North Korea has technology they can't control as well as power and The Nazi book burnings are similar simply because they were book burnings and attempts from the government at limiting the peoples knowledge. But as a whole Fahrenheit 451 was a pretty good book that I enjoyed studying and reading.

Hearth and Salamander

No comments:

Post a Comment