Note: (I forgot to publish this blog post and it was just sitting in my drafts). Sorry you haven't heard for me in so long. I have decided to do two mini blog posts on The Color of Water because I have enjoyed reading it so much. I chose the prompt in which you find and argue for the most important sentence in the chapter and I'm torn between two.
The first sentence is from chapter 12, Daddy. It is the chapter where James talks about his stepfather, Hunter Jordan. He is a classic, old timey, man, who I think James should be thankful for having. Until he doesn't have him. Hunter suffers a stroke during James's adolescence. He becomes closer and closer to Hunter realizing his values of church and academics. He relapses and dies after having one last important conversation with James. This is where the prompt comes in. The most important sentence to me was, "I wanted to tell him that I loved him, that I hoped with all my heart that he would get better, but I could not formulate the words in my mouth. (127, McBride)." This was so important to me; and I'm assuming James, because this happened when he was the oldest of his siblings still living in the house. Hunter influenced him so much that it had to be traumatizing to James and his siblings as well.


















No comments:
Post a Comment